If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (413) 324-1300

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Odor Control by SERVPRO Is Essential for Fire Damage Restoration for your Amherst Home

10/8/2019 (Permalink)

Fire extinguisher top half prominently showing Powder ABC, fire in the background SERVPRO Says Keep Your Amherst Home Safe from Fires—Keep One of These in Your Kitchen

Small Grease Fire in Your Amherst Kitchen? Assess Your Fire Damage ASAP

Getting a handle on the fire damage caused by accident in your kitchen is necessary, no matter the size of the damage. Usually, when it comes to small grease-based accidents, items are not ruined. Some of the residues from the fire can be wiped down, and the levels of smoke in the air can be mitigated quickly by SERVPRO technicians.

Measuring the Damage

After a small amount of fire damage, your Amherst kitchen is salvageable. Grease fires are caused by quick flashes of flames from the stovetop. They can be put out with dry powders like baking soda to smother the flames by eliminating an oxygen source. Using water or glass to put out the fire is not recommended, as these can splash and spread the flames. SERVPRO recommends having a type ABC fire extinguisher stored under the kitchen sink cabinet for just such flare-ups. The aftermath of your kitchen fire can be cleaned efficiently.

The most apparent damage is soot and smoke. Particles travel through the air and can stick to surfaces such as fabrics and furniture. A wet cleaning process gets rid of the soot residue from hard surfaces. This involves the use of cleaning solvents and hot water.  We have sponges stocked on our service vehicles for this task. If any oils are left behind in the kitchen after the fire, additional solvents can dissolve the residue.

Cleaning the Kitchen

If your microwave is located above the stove, the bottom might be blackened by smoke. Cabinets, countertops, walls, and ceilings may also be affected. SERVPRO technicians can spray and wipe using specially formulated cleaning products. These cleaning agents are combined with dry or wet towels to clean affected surfaces and remove the stains from the area. Any remaining pungent odor, especially in the case of protein fires, can be neutralized through several different processes. We can set up a hydroxyl generator to neutralize malodorous airborne molecules and also produce a ULV ultra-light volume fogging for penetration into corners and crevices for odor abatement. In the case of significant smells, we can set up negative air pressure utilizing a HEPA filtered air scrubbers to vacate the treated interior air to the outside of the structure. An onboard activated charcoal filter can also reduce unwanted smells.

Handle your kitchen accident by mitigating fire damage right away. Contact SERVPRO of Hampshire County at (413) 324-1300 for fire cleanup and restoration services. 

Here is your area.

Other News

View Recent Posts