How Can I Fortify My Home Against Flood Damage?
Northampton Residents Are Worried About Preventing Flood Damage
Northampton homeowners know the importance of taking good care of their home – and they know that sometimes it’s worth spending a little money now, to save expense and stress later.
When flood damage hits Northampton, homes are at risk of extensive damage. Flood damage repairs can be costly and inconvenient. SERVPRO recommends doing all you can to fortify your home against floods before anything happens, to reduce the possible harm and protect your house.
What can I do to boost my home’s flood resistance?
Here are some things to consider if you want your home to be more resistant to flooding:
- Apply water-resistant paint to the outside of your property
- Cover pet flaps and vents if it looks like a storm is coming
- Use sandbags to protect your property when the weather dictates
- Consider installing flood-proof doors and windows if you are in a high-risk area
Is there anything else I can do?
As well as taking care of your home’s structure, SERVPRO recommends keeping on top of home maintenance projects. Things that can reduce your flood damage risk include:
- Dealing with any roof repairs or loose tiles as soon as possible
- Cleaning gutters and downspouts regularly and repairing any damaged parts
- Checking your door and window seals and replacing them if needed
You might also consider hiring a landscape gardener to ensure flood water will run away from your home.
What should I do if flood damage occurs?
No matter how many precautions you take, you cannot wholly prevent flood damage. If you need flood mitigation, call SERVPRO as soon as you can. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster, and we know how to repair and restore your home after a flood.
Our professional team will extract water from your home and make it safe again if it has suffered structural damage. We also handle the removal of damaged carpets, and we clean and restore furniture Wherever possible. We will not quit until your home is appropriately dry and clean again, and we even carry out odor removal, so your house smells fresh.
For help with flood damage, call SERVPRO of Hampshire County at (413) 324-1300.
More about Northampton.